To develop your Enterprise... be 2.0... use wikis
Setup is pure backoffice tasks and servers systems skills.
- That is installing a virtual machine with the full stack of softwares needed:
- - Ubuntu operating system,
- - VMware virtual machine system,
- - Firewall,
- - Apache page server,
- - Mysql Database package,
- - Php language programing interpreter,
- - Mediawiki suite with the best adapted version and extensions,
- - Postfix mail server.
- Final and special tuning of each piece of software is also included in the setup process. Of course all the softwares are open source.
- Since 2010 all Mediawikis setup by Onyx Info include Semantic_mediawiki
Outsourcing the hosting is for you to get out of all the backoffice burden.
- Servers backbone fully dedicated to Mediawikis applications are the best solution.
- - Double bandwidth and triple storage are constantly optimised for this only purpose.
- - Replication and backups must be included.
- - Extreme levels of privacy and confidentiality are also a must.
- Hosting is of course the smaller part of your investement2.0, but hosting at outsourced Mediawiki dedicated servers will give you also a cut off the setup price, since all is yet prepared to host your virtual mediawiki machine inside adhoc servers.
Global Cloud Servicing is to get rid of any backoffice problem. As users you will never have to deal with the stack of softwares behind your mediawiki 2.0 application. But servers specialists have to do it for you.
- Standard web1.0 applications can do without it, they are closed applications except to the web masters, there are some risks, but risks are low. It is not recommended but it is possible not to service such web1.0 applications and let them go as they are.
- But with web2.0 applications such as Mediawikis it is mandatory to service the whole system, since the web2.0 nature of the wikis makes it an open system where users can enter data and not just look at it.
- Of course servicing is again pure server systems skills and backoffice tasks. General internet security concerns must be first reviewed daily and countermeasures taken if requested. Besides, every piece of software present on the server must be regularly patched directly from its particular source. Patches come as solutions to bugs or security mattters, so it is why there are so important to be processed as soon as possible. Available upgrades must also be carefully balanced and implemented as necessary.
Gardening is the final step for you to be able to operate your Diwikis to their full power.
- Gardening is full Mediawiki expertise, it is a mix of backoffice tasks with frontoffice immediate consequences. Following the garden analogy, 3 missions are distinguished: seeding, feeding, weeding.
Seeding is about to prepare as much as possibles pages and templates to inspire the users, , especially the fresh Mediawikis users of your Diwikis. These are initial tasks, that means seeding should be undertaken before the Diwiki is officially open.
- Best strategy is to build an adhoc team, joining people both from your organisation and from outsourced facilitators. If your people are fresh Mediawiki people, the seeding process will include Mediawiki training. Training is of course to be 100% practical, which means an only learning by doing process. Of course mental map building has to be associated with. Good seeding step is achieved when the people associated in it, become spontaneous evangelists of the Diwikis in your company.
Once good enough quality seeding is achieved feeding begins.
- Feeding wording must not be confused with growing. Feeding does not mean that the outsourced facilitators are going to fill your Diwikis. Filling the Diwikis is your people job. You are "the plants", so it is you that will grow... your Diwikis. The outside facilitators will only feed the necessary "aliments" for you to be able to fully develop yourselves. Aliments are of 2 kinds.
- - Formal edits, discussions, templates, formats, doing ways... to inspire your people.
- - Informal direct contacts with your people to boost your people Diwiki spirit.
Weeding is last step. This is more a backoffice mission. Public wikis are to be daily reviewed to deal with spams, vandalism, trolls, flams. Private Diwikis also. This mission is undertaken by trained people with special Mediawiki "admin" rights.
- Outsourced specialists can do it for you, they can also can train people of your organisation to do it. A full package of Mediawiki and special tools are available to achieve this last mission with ease: Recent changes review, RSS of selected pages, Watch lists, History inspections, Registered users edits only, Pages blocking, Ip blocking, Admin moves, Admin deletes...
- Good weeding must go also with lots of boosting and rewarding of every people using the Diwikis. Positive lead gives much more success with Diwikis than negative ones.
Mashup images credits
- http://upload.wikimedia.org Seeding: Immature Elm seeds
- http://upload.wikimedia.org Feeding: Hummingbird drinking nectar
- http://upload.wikimedia.org Weeding: Dandelion weed