Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is an extension of MediaWiki that helps to search, organise, tag, browse, evaluate, and share the wiki's content. While traditional wikis contain only text which computers can neither understand nor evaluate, SMW adds semantic annotations that allow a wiki to function as a collaborative database. ...
Why Semantic Mediawiki? Wikipedia counter-example
- Wikis have become a great tool for collecting and sharing knowledge in communities. This knowledge is mostly contained within texts and multimedia files, and is thus easily accessible for human readers. But though wikis are very good for storing and retrieving individual facts, they are less useful for getting queried or aggregated information. As a simple example, consider the following question: «What are the hundred world-largest cities with a female mayor?»
Wikipedia should be able to provide the answer: it contains all large cities, their mayors, and articles about the mayor that tell us about their gender. Yet the question is almost impossible to answer for a human, since one would have to read all articles about all large cities first! Even if the answer is found, it might not remain valid for very long. Computers can deal with large datasets much easier, yet they are not able to support us very much when seeking answers from a wiki: Even sophisticated programs cannot yet read and «understand» human-language texts unless the topic and language of the text is very restricted. The wiki's keyword search does not help either.
- - Semantic MediaWiki enables wikis to make their knowledge computer-processable, e.g. to answer the above question.
- - ... more about SMW at http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Introduction_to_Semantic_MediaWiki
Diwiki.com unique email input feature...
- On top of that Diwiki.com combines SMW with a unique feature to create mediawiki pages via emails. Then SMW is an easy tool to automatically "backlink" these pages with some semantic properties. You could for instance compile in your Mediawiki all your budget expenses, just sending every expense from your Iphone via email to your Mediawiki. Then the SMW extension can recompute at that very moment all your budget lines.
Some semantic properties and types yet prepared for you
The semantic extension is installed on this Mediawiki. Plus, to first coach you how to use it, some easy semantic properties and types have been yet added to this Mediawiki.
- the 7w keys properties...
- type:date http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Type:Date
- type:number http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Type:Number
- type:page http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Type:Page
- type:record http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Type:Record
- type:string http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Type:String
... How to go further
Look how Properties, types and values are built.
- Open the edit pages to look at the exact markup.
- Browse the annotated semantic pages...
Visit the special pages
... Start playing using it as it is... then modifying, enhancing... Enjoy it
To get more information about how to use property, types, values and more...